Monday, April 09, 2007

Snowy Easter?

Ah, yes, a snowy Easter it was. My husband looked out the window while we were getting ready for church, and he broke out into song:

"I'm dreaming of a white Easter, just like the ones I never knew. . . ."

In all serious though, it was a wonderful Easter celebrating the resurrection of our Lord. We needed to be at church early for me to rehearse with the children's choir. Probably the largest number of children sang yesterday than we have ever had. To watch and hear them sing "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" was very powerful and such a blessing. I had opportunity these last several weeks to teach the kids about what it means, or can mean, for us when we sing things like "But the pains which He endured, our salvation hath procured." It was so awesome to get them to talk about what that means to them and how the truth of Christ's suffering should change how we live our lives. God is so good, and I just long for these children to know Him and not just sing pretty songs to make their parents and others go "Awwww, how sweet!" We've claimed Col. 3:16 as our verse in King's Kids, and we talk about how they as children can be little ministers with a wonderful opportunity and responsibility to point others to God through song. By God's grace, they did a great job doing just that yesterday--praise the Lord!

We had our annual Easter breakfast as a church (instead of Sunday School) before the morning worship service. What a joy to celebrate what God has done and to be reminded that we come together every Sunday because Christ is risen! After the service we had a good time with three other families for Easter dinner. We went to the Singletary's home and enjoyed amazing food and fellowship. The husbands all went out to the front yard and hid a lot of Easter eggs for the kids, and the hunt was on. It was hilarious trying to get everyone's coats on and people out the door. It was freezing out there. I had not brought clothes for the girls to change into. Thankfully I had sweaters for them to wear with their dresses yesterday. We also had closed white shoes they could wear tights with to stay warm. Anyway, they had a blast! You can see the pictures below with the little bit of snow on the ground where they are picking up Easter eggs. Ha ha

Last night we had our Easter musical, and, thank the Lord, it all went very well. We had a multi-media type presentation on our big screen that played behind the choir. Clips of scenes from "Jesus" movies and religious art were used as we sang about Christ's last supper with his disciples, the garden, His suffering, crucifixion, and resurrection. We had one character on stage who portrayed Luke writing his gospel. The music and everything together was very powerful! I was once again greatly moved by what Jesus went through for me. When we came home, we decided to watch The Passion of the Christ, which Kris and I had never seen yet. I was moved even more after that. As Kris said this morning before he left for work, "Let's live today in light of the cross!" May that always be our prayer. Well, I hope you all had a blessed Easter as well, and that you too are excited about living for our Lord.

No comments: