Monday, September 15, 2008

Works of God Monday



I am so thankful for a great start to this school year with the girls. Who knew I would be a Kindergarten and third grade teacher? I have taught music in schools for both of those grades, being an elementary school music teacher, but I have all of the other subjects now too. I am really enjoying the curricula we chose--A Beka for K-5 and BJU Hard Drive for 3rd grade. The girls would've done the same material at Calvary if we were still there.

God has blessed us with a homeschool group (out of a local church) that I am enjoying. This group is purely for support/encouragement and planning things for our kids to do together. I have been to two mom's nights now. I'm meeting new people, learning much, and am amazed at the support and huge community of homeschoolers that there is here in CA. We had a great field trip to a living history farm 2 Fridays ago. It was hot that day, but we were up in the mtns., so it only got to 92 degrees. By the time we got home, it was 102 degrees here. We had a park day last Fri. morning. We met for about an hour and a half. The girls and I just switched and did school in the afternoon. It's better to meet at the park in the morning because of the heat here. Funny thing is though, that morning was cloudy and cooler. We had not seen cloud cover since moving from MI. It felt like a MI day, and we enjoyed that for a bit. We have had a couple of days in a row like that, but we are back to normal now. Today it was 100 degrees, and that's a little much. The girls and I went to the pool after lunch though and had lots of fun.

We are also now members of HSLDA and Olive Tree Christian School. The first organization is national and provides legal cover, if there ever was an issue concerning homeschooling. The second organization is a network of homeschoolers in this area. The school takes care of our affidavits (needed for CA private educators) as well as paperwork and records of our children's progress in school. We first-time homeschool moms were given an advisor (seasoned homeschool mom) at our first meeting last week. What a blessing to have someone to answer our questions, get ideas from, etc.! The school also provides extracurricular activities for children of all ages. They also will offer some group classes at times. There is a picture day coming up next month. The girls will get IDs and I will have a faculty ID. We homeschool families make up the school. Our administrator has an office and office staff, but there is no school building.

Well, I wanted to share my thanks and praise to God with you for all of the ways He has worked to lead us to homeschool the girls and then bring the right people into our lives to help us on our journey. He is always good!

1 comment:

A Hint of Home said...

I'm so happy that the school year is going so well for you and that you are part of the homeschooling group.
Can't wait to see all of you.