Friday, March 23, 2007

1/4 of 2007

How can it already be going on the end of March? Almost a quarter of this year is done! I am so glad that this week is Spring Break. We aren't even going anywhere, but I am just so excited to have a break and spend time together as a family. The weather is changing, and I see my tulips popping up through the ground. People in MI are coming out of hibernation and getting on their bikes, taking walks, etc. It's great!

I have been busy with the normal routine of home and teaching. One exciting new thing that started is Camerata singers with Music Society. We had our first rehearsal on Mon. night, and it was so awesome! I didn't know whether to be super excited or scared out of my mind. It was a little of both really. The music is so difficult but amazing. You really have to be on your toes. It's intense rehearsing. The only time I remember doing this level of choral singing was with the BJU Chorale, especially when preparing to go to the 1996 World Choral Festival in Korea. Well the Camerata Singers are a group of approx. 25 members. I auditioned last month for the only lady's part available--one 2nd soprano opening. What an honor to be part of this group! We have a concert in June and some of the same repertoire a few times throughout the '07/'08 concert season. Another fun thing I get to do in May is sing the National Anthem at our new minor league baseball team's game. The Great Lakes Loons begins playing next month. Lance Parrish is coaching the team! As a kid, I had a crush on him when he was a Detroit Tiger baseball player. Ha ha The Camerata Singers have also been chosen to sing at a game in August.

I have had fun with Emma's first grade class, going to two field trips recently. Olivia has been able to come with me too. We went to Dow Gardens' Butterly House and also to a local fire station. I will add a slide show of the butterfly one, but I forgot my camera when we went to the firestation. :-(

Okay, have you heard that facebook.com is all the rage? Several of you have encouraged me to check it out. I know I procrastinated for quite some time, as I have with blogging as well, but I finally signed up today. It really is a neat place to connect with people, especially those you've lost track of over the years. Check it out sometime.

Well, we have made it through all of the MACS Fine Arts competitions. The high school one was held at our facilities and was a big undertaking. It went very well. I judged Female Vocal Solo, and Kris conducted his groups and visited around to see our students perform in other areas. Kris' choir and ensemble both placed 3rd for Sr. High. He's awesome! :-) I had a voice student get 2nd place in the state and was soooo excited for him! This is his senior year and has been a big deal. Our band won first, and we had several other awards for our school. Jr. High MACS was today down in Troy. I am not sure how we did. Kris went down to judge a couple of categories. I was supposed to go and judge girls solos again, but I got hit with some intestinal bug yesterday--not fun. :-( I feel a bit better though, so I am glad for that.

Hopefully I will be blogging more. We'll see. . . .

No comments: