Monday, August 25, 2008

Works of God Monday

Today I want to share birthday blessings. Last Thurs. was my birthday. Am I really in my mid-30s?!? It's fine, and I'm thankful for another year of life God has given me. People have been very sweet and gracious--lots of facebook messages, birthday cards in the mail, and several unexpected and wonderful gifts! My family was very sweet as well. I woke up to a wonderful "Happy Birthday" song and big hugs and kisses. I saw my new elliptical machine covered with balloons and bows. It's a piece of exercise equipment that is not really just for me. Everyone here is enjoying it, including the kids. :-) Kris also had a gift bag with some new speakers for our computer wrapped up for me to open. We are all enjoying those as well. On the topic of the computer, my biggest surprise was a webcam from dear friends. I've been able to see my sister and her family as well as my friend, Jenny, and her family, including her sweet new baby all right there on my computer screen. I am so thankful for this technology and the thoughtfulness of our friends to send it to me for my birthday! Some other great gifts that I am excited to use are Starbucks gift cards, JC Penny gift card, money to go shopping, raspberry loose leaf tea to try, and a devotional book by Beth Moore. Thanks to all of my family and friends for these wonderful gifts!

Now for the amazing sovereignty of the Lord to share with you. . .Kris and I always like to go on a date together to celebrate our birthdays. Well, we would have probably asked Kris's aunt and uncle to watch the girls, but his aunt is recovering from a heart attack and some other physical complications right now. We decided to see if another couple in our new church could babysit for us. They had us bring the girls to their house for the evening. One of the things they suggested to the girls was going to a little store up the road, but for some reason the girls didn't want to do that. Diana asked them if they wanted to walk the neighbor's dog with her instead, and they got excited about that. When they got to the house behind theirs, on the other side of the block, they saw some kids out playing. Diana knew of the grandmother who lived their, but had only spoken to her a couple of times over the years. Well, having my two kids with her gave Diana the opportunity to start a conversation with the family about our girls being new to the area and why we moved here. She told the lady and her grandchildren that I have been doing some SS lessons with my girls on Sunday mornings, but that we do not have any other kids coming yet. Diana invited them to join us on Sunday, and they did! The lady's future daughter-in-law came with her little girl, and we had five children for SS. All I can say is that this is a VERY needy family, and we have huge opportunities to help them in a variety of ways. The children have never been in a church before, and they knew absolutely nothing of the Bible, Jesus, etc. We had a wonderful time sharing with them the truths from God's Word. The grandma who came had been in church as a child a few times, and I don't know that the other women has ever gone. Please pray for us as we continue to share Christ with this family and seek to help meet some of their needs, even beyond spiritual ones. Isn't God always good? My girls weren't necessarily "supposed to be" at that couple's house, and Diana just decided on a whim to take them on a walk. God is ALWAYS working, and we praise Him for His ways being so much higher than ours!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

What great news! Praise the Lord for His working all the time, and for the opportunity to share His love with this family!! FIVE in Sunday School is AWESOME!

The Barkers said...

I'm so glad you had a great birthday!
What a neat story about the new visitors at church! Yea!! Can't wait to hear more details. I hope we can talk tonight.
i love and miss you!