Monday, August 18, 2008

Works of God Monday



Well, I am averaging once a week getting something posted on my blog. Yes, I do have tons more that I could post, but you know, when every aspect of your life is changing (new home and area to live, ministry, schooling), it's hard to find time to do it. Sorry to those of you who have asked me to post pics, to tell more about our trip out here and what is going on with us, etc. I promise--it's coming. We are feeling a bit more settled each week.

I decided to have everyone in the family tell me something for which they would like to thank God today:

Olivia said that she is thankful for how the boo boo on her foot is healing. She got a little cut on the side of her foot, and we prayed for it to get better, and God has answered that.

Kris said that He is so thankful for the hope that we have that Jesus Christ is coming again! John 14

Emma said that she is thankful that we can praise God openly and freely here in America. We have talked about the country in which the Olymp*cs are taking place, and how the people there can't just plant a church of their choice like we can here.

I thank God for bringing people across our paths. First, we met our neighbors a couple of doors down. They are Christians, and I am looking forward to getting to know the wife and having opportunity for us to ride our bikes together. She goes on a nearby bike path and invited me to join her. Second, we met some children across the street from our church this past Wed. night. There were two girls, both 8 yrs. old, and a little boy who is 7 yrs. old. One of the girls is the sister of the little boy, and the other girl lives next door to them. We played ball with them on the church property for a while after prayer meeting. I invited them to come to SS and/or church, but that didn't work out for yesterday. One of our church ladies was able to meet one of the moms yesterday though as they were pulling in their driveway. She said that the mom hardly spoke English, but an invitation was given for them to come to church. Third, God brought 3 different visiting families to our church yesterday. One we had met a couple of weeks ago. They have four young boys. One of the couples visiting came with that family. We are trusting God for the growth of our new church. Kris has a great idea to start a neighborhood Bible study here soon. Please pray that we would be able to do that. We need to find out the rules of using the clubhouse and the possibility of advertising/having an invitation put out to the neighborhood.

I must say that we are feeling the loneliness lately. Olivia woke up on Sunday morning, crying first thing because she was missing her friend, Madeline. She was having a dream that they were playing together. When she woke up, she wondered where Madeline had gone. Olivia then went into a list of the people that she misses, and I just snuggled her up and reminded her that God has called us here, and He has not left us on our own. He will bring new friends in His timing. I understand how she is feeling though, and I am "preaching" this to myself as well. :-) It was so hard for me this last week when my dear fried, Jenny, had her baby, and I wasn't able to go see her and the new little one. I am so excited for their family and praise God for how He has worked in their lives. We can still rejoice with them long-distance and keep up through phone calls and messages on the computer. For that I am VERY grateful!

We thank God for the grace that He gives us each day. These are times to grow closer to Him and remember that He is the One we should be going to first with all that is on our hearts anyway. It's easy when we have lots of friends and family around us to just tell them about our joys, sorrows, etc. Our relationship with God is the most important, and with most people I love and have enjoyed being with not nearby, I am especially reminded that Jesus is the friend that sticks closer than a brother. Even depending on phone calls or e-mails is not what should be most important to me. I think it's Beth Mo*re who says something like, "Oh, ladies! First, run to the throne and not to the phone." in talking about our tendency to "spill" to our friends and/or family and ignore our God.

I Peter 5:7--casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

4 comments:

The Barkers said...

Yes I think you are right its Beth Moore! Love that lady!
I love you and miss you! I wish I could be there this week to celebrate your birthday.
How exciting about the families that visited this past week! (and meeting the new neighbors!)

Anonymous said...

I think of you often and when I do I am reminded to pray for you.

Stephens said...

Thank you for your prayers, Sarah. We miss you guys!

A Hint of Home said...

I'm reading Voices of the Faithful by Beth Moore. It's very moving what people serving the Lord around the world experience.

Keep busy, time flies, and family is on the way. We'll be there before you know it.
Miss you.