Monday, August 28, 2006

Last Days of Summer Break

Well, the girls and I had a very fun time together on Saturday. We went blueberry picking and brought home 13 lbs.! It was Olivia's first time, and she picked some but had more fun eating them than putting them in her bucket. :-) Emma was a big helper. She didn't want to leave until my 2 gallon bucket was full. We actually picked close to 10 Qts. It was a perfect day and something I could finally do with them. I am glad we had the time together before school started. We ended our "blueberry day" by making a pie. We had lots of fun, and it was sure worth it! Talk about a fresh pie--from the field, to the oven, to the table.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Andrea! boy that pie sure looks great to eat! what a great memory with the girls.... seeing them pick blueberries and the pie makes me miss MI...no blueberries here in MN. oh well, something to look forward to later---i took the boys every year to pick, and they were like Olivia---pick and eat! looks great!!

Stephens said...

Hi, Marybeth,

No blueberries there?!? I'm sorry. Did you have strawberries or anything else you could go pick this summer? We did strawberries at the end of June, and that was fun too. Next summer I would like to do raspberries and/or blackberries. I was limited this year. :-) Say "hello" to the family for me. We love and miss you guys!

Jenny said...

Looks like you might have checked out OUR favorite blueberry patch! Glad you had fun - next year, let's go together!! :-)

Stephens said...

Actually we did drive out to Sanford first, and the gate was closed with a sign on it saying, "Closed for ripening." I was determined to go with the girls somewhere though since last month was out and school was starting in two days. I went back home and looked up another place. It was out in Freeland almost to Saginaw--Russell's Blueberry Farm. Awesome place! We packed drinks and snacks and had a great day of it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea! We have never been to the Russell's Farm--glad to hear you found a place to pick. we went to Sanford---beautiful berries there!! We did pick strawberries at the end of June after the MI trip---i made a couple of pies and freezer jam.. we also have gone Raspberry picking---last year and i made pies and jam, too.

love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Girls! You all get an A+ for that beautiful pie. Mmm...I can almost taste it!

Stephens said...

Thanks, Aunt Sarah! Too bad you couldn't share with us. :-( It was great.