Monday, January 19, 2009

Works of God Monday



Sorry it's taken a while to update anything. God is definitely at work, and we are thankful for Who He is! Amazingly, today marks 6 months from the day we "pulled into town" here in CA. It is hard to believe in a lot of ways that we've already lived out here for half of a year, but in other ways, it seems like we've been gone from MI for a lot longer. I would like to write more of what is going on here, but I'll just share a few thoughts about things I've thanked God for in the last couple of weeks.

First of all, we had ANOTHER earthquake since we have been in CA. This one was much closer to us, and although it was a 4.5 instead of a 5.4, it was louder, longer, and a bit more concerning to me! Kris and I were watching football. I heard this rumbling sound and looked up toward the ceiling. The girls were playing in one of the bedrooms above us. For a split second I thought, "What are they DOING?" Then it "hit" me! Kris and I literally got jolted a bit on the couch, which is against an exterior wall. It sounded and felt like something hit the house. Our CD tower began to sway and the CDs were rattling. The grandfather clock was shaking too. I said, "OH NO! Kris, get the girls!!!" The girls were already on their way down those stairs and "wimpering" a bit. The really cool thing is that the earthquake was already subsiding and Kris said, "Girls, what's our Bible verse for this week?" We had started memorizing Isaiah 41:10 as a family just 4 days before! It says, "Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous, right hand." What wonderful timing God had in drawing us to this particular verse that we had been meditating on and discussing together all week.

Second of all, we did have a visitor come two Sundays ago as a result of getting one of our door hangers. She is an elderly woman who lives close by, and we had a good time of talking with her. She was not able to come back yesterday, but we hope to have more contact with her soon. Unfortunately we did not have any other visitors yesterday, but we are getting 5,000 more door hangers soon and will continue going through the area with those. Thank you for your prayers for these efforts and our need for God's leading in the ministry here. I can't tell you what a phone call, quick comment on the blog or facebook, a card or email has meant to us to know you are praying. God is good, ALL the time! We need to remember that tomorrow (and everyday) when "the wrong seems oft so strong," as the song "This Is My Father's World" reminds us. God IS the ruler yet!!!

2 comments:

The Barkers said...

I love you and will be praying even more for you.

A Hint of Home said...

I'm praying for you to be encouraged in your endeavors there. Love and miss you all.